Pattern: Muir, by Rosemary Hill
Source: Fall 2007 issue of Knitty
Started: January 19, 2008
Finished & Blocked: January 19, 2010
Size: 35" long x 8.5" wide, folded in half
Modifications: Repeated lace chart 7 times instead of 13.
Yarn: A little more than 1 skein of Knit Picks Alpaca Cloud (100% Baby Alpaca; 440 yds per 50g ball) in color #C740, "Tide Pool Heather"
Needles: US #3
I love the pattern, the yarn, the color, and the way everyone else's shawls turned out. My scarf version took me exactly 2 years to finish; I CO days before starting my then-new job and the poor thing hibernated on and off as my grad class workload, my general busy-ness, and a new puppy allowed. I haven't been knitting a ton of tiny-gauge lace projects recently and am glad I got a spurt of energy. I abbreviated it into a scarf - because it is just too beautiful to leave as a UFO and because it will get more use as a non-shawl.
Over the holiday weekend I knitted the entire 7th repeat of the chart (without using a lifeline!) as well as the top border. I had planned to stop after 6 repeats, but the scarf was still too short...the additional repeat added 2.75" to the pre-blocked length and I'm happy with the finished size.
I was nervous that my project would unravel if I undid the provisional cast on incorrectly, but it worked out well enough. I must say that the bottom border was not done very precisely but I think I'm the only one who can tell. It took me almost my whole lunch hour on Tuesday to undo the CO and then 2-3 hours to knit the bottom border and bind off. That picot bind off is a killer, and very time-consuming!
Muir Scarf was a squarish blob before blocking but it ended up being the perfect size; it'll replace the Icarus that I've been wearing as my winter scarf for the past 3 seasons. This scarf will keep me toasty warm without hanging out of any of my coats...and it's the same yarn as Icarus (different color) so I know it will stand up well to daily use.
I may have done 2 repeats of the middle section of the chart had I known this wasn't going to become a shawl. Unfolded, the scarf is 35” x 16” - I blocked it to 39"x16" and it was 19"x17" before blocking.
Seven repeats of the chart along with the top border used up exactly one skein of yarn. I wound a 2nd skein when I was halfway through the picot bind off because I thought I'd run out. Just made it though, and needed to use the 2nd skein to knit the bottom border.
It seems silly, but I'm kind of excited that I finished Muir on what would have been its 2-year anniversary as a WIP. Love it!
(Old posts here.)