Saturday, September 04, 2010

FO: Wavy Socks

Pattern: "Serpentine Socks" [Rav link]
Source: Socks from the Toe Up, by Wendy D. Johnson
Started: May 20, 2010
Finished: September 1, 2010 (Sock #1 was done on 6/18/10)
Gifting: December 24, 2010


Yarn: 2 skeins of Patons Kroy Socks 4 Ply [75% Wool, 25% Nylon; 166 yds per 50g skein] in #55011 - "Flax"
Needles: US #2
Size: Smallest size, to fit Women's medium
Gauge: 6.5 stitches and 9 rows = 1 inch in stockinette stitch
Modifications: I knitted these as written, except for an unintentional “design modification.” I knitted all even rows instead of purling the purls on those rows. The wave isn’t as pronounced as it should be but, since I did this consistently, the socks turned out fine.

Back in the beginning of the year, my mom requested another pair of socks. She *loves* the pair I gave her back in 2009 so is definitely worthy of more knitted gifts. :D I decided that socks would be a good Christmas present, but only if I left myself plenty of time to make them.

My schedule has been really crazy lately (thanks to a MA thesis that needs to get done asap) and socks take me forever to knit so...I kind of cheated. I chose a pattern that required non-fingering weight yarn. These knitted up quickly, and I'm happy with how they turned out. Hope they fit my mom as well as they fit me!

In the pictures, you can see how they're constructed. There's a stockinette ridge going up either side and a wavy pattern all down the front and on the back of the leg. I think they look cool on, and they fit snugly (which I think is essential for socks). The yarn was soft so I enjoyed knitting with it; if my mom tells me it holds up well, I'll use it again.

I learned some stuff while making them, too. This was my first time knitting a sock on 2 circs instead of 5 dpns. I like the technique even though I think I’m faster on dpns--it's nice not having to worry about sts slipping off the needle, etc. It was also my first time doing a Turkish cast on and an especially-stretchy bind off.

I knitted them a lot while in the car or at knit night, and even a little at WWKIP Day in Eisenhower Park. I brought them along on my vacation in July but didn't even take them out of my bag during our 2,600 mile road trip. I really should have finished them then, but was too busy enjoying the scenery and cuddling with my dogs, who came with us. ;)

Anyway, I'll give these to my mom on Christmas Eve. I hope she likes them!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Those socks are gorgeous!! Your mom is going to love them.