Wednesday, February 23, 2011

FO: Candlelight Scarf

A looong overdue post!

Pattern: “Candlelight Shawl” by Saccade Elyse
Source: Ravelry download [link]
Started: December 3, 2010
Finished & Blocked: January 31, 2011
Dimensions: 48” wide and 22” top to tip (just blocked--later shrank some)

Yarn: ~307 yds of Tanis Fiber Arts Blue Label Fingering Weight yarn (80% Superwash Merino Wool, 20% Nylon; 400 yds per 115 g ball) in "Poppy"
Needles: US #5
Modifications: See below.

I’m using this shawlette as a winter scarf. Lovely yarn, lovely color, beautiful design... However, I had trouble following the pattern so I’m sure it’s not exactly as the designer intended. I still like how it turned out and it’s the perfect size to wrap around my neck. The NY area is getting pummeled with wintery weather this year so it got lots of use this season.

I knitted the set-up rows and rows 1-30 without any trouble but when I got to the spot where I was supposed to repeat the rows/areas in the red box, my stitch count wouldn’t have any of it. After PMing back and forth with the designer and another Raveler, I ended up repeating rows 15-30 instead of 13-20 (be sure you repeat sts 12-19 and 48-55 as necessary from row 15+), and stopping at row 20 to begin the edging. I had 31g of yarn left and all worked out fine.

For the edging, I decided to continue in pattern for the edge sts and incomplete section (part right before the first full pattern repeat). It was supposed to be stockinette but I didn’t like the way that looked since we were still doing yo, k1, yo for the center sts. I’m pleased with the final result!

Overall, a beautiful pattern and a relatively quick knit.

1 comment:

Julie said...

that shawl is so pretty!! looks amazing.